The product group released the December 2020 Cumulative Update for SharePoint Server 2016 product family.
This CU also includes Feature Pack 1 which was released with December 2016 CU and Feature Pack 2 which was released with September 2017 CU.
The KB articles for December 2020 CU are available here:
- KB 4486753 – December 2020 Update for SharePoint Server 2016 (language independent) – This is also a security update!
- KB 4486721 – December 2020 Update for SharePoint Server 2016 (language dependent) – This is also a security update!
The download for December 2020 CU is available here:
- Download December 2020 Update for SharePoint Server 2016 (language independent) – This is also a security update!
- Download December 2020 Update for SharePoint Server 2016 (language dependent) – This is also a security update!
Important: It is required to install both fixes (language dependent and independent) to fully patch a SharePoint server. This applies also to servers which do not have language packs installed. The reason is that each SharePoint installation includes a language dependent component together with a language independent component. If additional language packs are added later (only) the language dependent fix has to be applied again.
It is irrelevant which language you pick on the drop down in download center. Even the language dependent fixes are all in the same package for all languages.
After installing the fixes you need to run the SharePoint 2016 Products Configuration Wizard on each machine in the farm. If you prefer to run the command line version psconfig.exe ensure to have a look here for the correct options.
SharePoint 2016 December 2020 CU Build Numbers:
Language independent fix: 16.0.5095.1000
Language dependent fix: 16.0.5095.1000
To understand the different version numbers please have a look at my article which explains the different SharePoint build numbers.
Please ensure to have a look at the SharePoint Patching Best Practices before applying new fixes.
- Technet: Updated Product Servicing Policy for SharePoint Server 2016
- Blog: SharePoint Patching Best Practices
- Blog: Common Question: What is the difference between a PU, a CU and a COD?
- Blog: SharePoint Patching demystified
- Blog: Why I prefer PSCONFIGUI.EXE over PSCONFIG.EXE
- Technet: Update Center for Microsoft Office, Office Servers, and Related Products
- Blog: SharePoint Server 2016 Patch Build Numbers Powershell Module
- Blog: SharePoint Server 2016 Zero-Downtime Patching Demystified
- Blog: SharePoint does not have a build version. Full Stop.
Can you please confirm the issue (upload of files larger than 100 MB fails, Oct-2020 CU issue ) has been addressed in this CU?
Hi Kotesh, confirmed. If you check the KB 4486753 you will find this info:
“Fixes the failures that occur when you upload files larger than 100 MB through dragging and dropping.”
Hi Stefan, this CU includes both KB 4486753 & KB 4486721.. correct
you need to apply both of these patches – yes.
after installing these patches we have to explicitly add to web.config SafeControls section a lot of Namespaces of the same custom libraries what we use.
thats correct. This change was introduced with a security fix in September CU:
I installed SharePoint 2016 December 2020 CU. When I upgrade the database after the patch installation, I get the following error from just one wss contentdb. “Upgrade-SPContentDatabase : Specified argument was out of the range of valid values. sLine” How can i fix this issue? I checked the ULS logs but I didn’t found anything. (By the way, I am using the language pack (Turkish) in the database where I get the error. This is the difference from the others.)
if you need assistance to isolate this I would recommend to open a support case with Microsoft.
This page allows a limit of 200 controls, and that limit has been exceeded. This error is coming after installing the DEC 2020 CU. Do I need to increase the limitation in Web.config? the same settings were there before installing the patch but we dint face the issue.
I would suggest to open a ticket with Microsoft to get this analyzed.