The product group released the October 2017 Cumulative Update for SharePoint Server 2016 product family.
This CU also includes Feature Pack 1 which was released with November 2016 CU and Feature Pack 2 which was released with September 2017 CU.
The KB articles for October 2017 CU are available at the following location:
- KB 4011217 – October 2017 Update for SharePoint Server 2016 (language independent) – This is also a security update!
- KB 4011161 – October 2017 Update for SharePoint Server 2016 (language dependent fixes)
- KB 3213659 – October 2017 Update for Office Online Server 2016 – This is also a security update!
The download for October 2017 CU is available through the following link:
- Download October 2017 Update for SharePoint Server 2016 (language independent) – This is also a security update!
- Download October 2017 Update for SharePoint Server 2016 (language dependent fixes)
- Download October 2017 Update for Office Online Server 2016 – This is also a security update!
Important: It is required to install both fixes to fully patch a SharePoint server as each SharePoint installation comes with a language independent component and a language dependent component. If additional language packs are added later (only) the language dependent fix has to be applied again.
It is irrelevant which language you pick on the drop down in download center. Even the language dependent fixes are all in the same package for all languages.
After installing the fixes you need to run the SharePoint 2016 Products Configuration Wizard on each machine in the farm. If you prefer to run the command line version psconfig.exe ensure to have a look here for the correct options.
SharePoint 2016 October 2017 CU Build Numbers:
Language Independent fix: 16.0.4600.1002
Language Dependent fix: 16.0.4600.1000
To understand the different version numbers please have a look at my article which explains the different SharePoint build numbers.
You can use the SharePoint Server 2016 Patch Build Numbers Powershell Module to identify the patch level of all SharePoint components.
- Technet: Updated Product Servicing Policy for SharePoint Server 2016
- Blog: Common Question: What is the difference between a PU, a CU and a COD?
- Blog: SharePoint Patching demystified
- Blog: Why I prefer PSCONFIGUI.EXE over PSCONFIG.EXE
- Blog: October 2017 Office Update Release
- Technet: Update Center for Microsoft Office, Office Servers, and Related Products
- Blog: SharePoint Server 2016 Patch Build Numbers Powershell Module
- Blog: SharePoint Server 2016 Zero-Downtime Patching Demystified
- Blog: SharePoint does not have a build version. Full Stop.