The product group released the January 2021 Cumulative Update for SharePoint Server 2019 product family. SharePoint Server 2019 is patched with a language dependent and a language independent fix.
The KB article for January 2021 CU will be available at the following Location in a couple of hours:
- KB 4493162 – January 2021 Update for SharePoint Server 2019 (language independent) – This is also a security update!
- KB 4493161 – January 2021 Update for SharePoint Server 2019 (language dependent) – This is also a security update!
The download for January 2021 CU is available through the following link:
- Download January 2021 Update for SharePoint Server 2019 (language independent) – This is also a security update!
- Download January 2021 Update for SharePoint Server 2019 (language dependent) – This is also a security update!
Important: It is required to install both fixes (language dependent and independent) to fully patch a SharePoint server. This applies also to servers which do not have language packs installed. The reason is that each SharePoint installation includes a language dependent component together with a language independent component. If additional language packs are added later (only) the language dependent fix has to be applied again.
It is irrelevant which language you pick on the drop down in download center. Even the language dependent fixes are all in the same package for all languages.
After installing the fixes you need to run the SharePoint 2019 Products Configuration Wizard on each machine in the farm. If you prefer to run the command line version psconfig.exe ensure to have a look here for the correct options.
Please ensure to have a look at the SharePoint Patching Best Practices before applying new fixes.
SharePoint 2019 January 2021 CU Build Number:
Language independent fix: 16.0.10370.20001
Language dependent fix: 16.0.10370.20001
- Technet: Updated Product Servicing Policy for SharePoint Server 2019
- Blog: SharePoint Patching Best Practices
- Blog: SharePoint Patching demystified
- Blog: Why I prefer PSCONFIGUI.EXE over PSCONFIG.EXE
- Technet: Update Center for Microsoft Office, Office Servers, and Related Products
- Blog: SharePoint Server 2016 Zero-Downtime Patching Demystified (applies also to SharePoint Server 2019)
- Blog: SharePoint does not have a build version. Full Stop.