The product group released the April 2020 Cumulative Update for SharePoint Server 2016 product family.
The KB articles for April 2020 CU are available here:
- KB 4484299 – April 2020 Update for SharePoint Server 2016 (language independent) – This is also a security update!
- KB 4484301 – April 2020 Update for SharePoint Server 2016 (language dependent) – This is also a security update!
The download for April 2020 CU is available here:
- Download April 2020 Update for SharePoint Server 2016 (language independent) – This is also a security update!
- Download April 2020 Update for SharePoint Server 2016 (language dependent) – This is also a security update!
Important: It is required to install both fixes (language dependent and independent) to fully patch a SharePoint server. This applies also to servers which do not have language packs installed. The reason is that each SharePoint installation includes a language dependent component together with a language independent component. If additional language packs are added later (only) the language dependent fix has to be applied again.
It is irrelevant which language you pick on the drop down in download center. Even the language dependent fixes are all in the same package for all languages.
After installing the fixes you need to run the SharePoint 2016 Products Configuration Wizard on each machine in the farm. If you prefer to run the command line version psconfig.exe ensure to have a look here for the correct options.
SharePoint 2016 April 2020 CU Build Numbers:
Language independent fix: 16.0.4993.1000
Language dependent fix: 16.0.4993.1000
To understand the different version numbers please have a look at my article which explains the different SharePoint build numbers.
Please ensure to have a look at the SharePoint Patching Best Practices before applying new fixes.
- Technet: Updated Product Servicing Policy for SharePoint Server 2016
- Blog: SharePoint Patching Best Practices
- Blog: Common Question: What is the difference between a PU, a CU and a COD?
- Blog: SharePoint Patching demystified
- Blog: Why I prefer PSCONFIGUI.EXE over PSCONFIG.EXE
- Technet: Update Center for Microsoft Office, Office Servers, and Related Products
- Blog: SharePoint Server 2016 Patch Build Numbers Powershell Module
- Blog: SharePoint Server 2016 Zero-Downtime Patching Demystified
- Blog: SharePoint does not have a build version. Full Stop.