The product group released the February 2020 Cumulative Update for SharePoint Server 2016 product family.
This CU also includes Feature Pack 1 which was released with December 2016 CU and Feature Pack 2 which was released with September 2017 CU.
The KB articles for February 2020 CU are available here:
- KB 4484255 – February 2020 Update for SharePoint Server 2016 (language independent) – This is also a security update!
- KB 4484257 – February 2020 Update for SharePoint Server 2016 (language dependent)
The download for February 2020 CU is available here:
- Download February 2020 Update for SharePoint Server 2016 (language independent) – This is also a security update!
- Download February 2020 Update for SharePoint Server 2016 (language dependent)
Important: It is required to install both fixes (language dependent and independent) to fully patch a SharePoint server. This applies also to servers which do not have language packs installed. The reason is that each SharePoint installation includes a language dependent component together with a language independent component. If additional language packs are added later (only) the language dependent fix has to be applied again.
It is irrelevant which language you pick on the drop down in download center. Even the language dependent fixes are all in the same package for all languages.
After installing the fixes you need to run the SharePoint 2016 Products Configuration Wizard on each machine in the farm. If you prefer to run the command line version psconfig.exe ensure to have a look here for the correct options.
SharePoint 2016 February 2020 CU Build Numbers:
Language independent fix: 16.0.4966.1000
Language dependent fix: 16.0.4966.1000
To understand the different version numbers please have a look at my article which explains the different SharePoint build numbers.
Please ensure to have a look at the SharePoint Patching Best Practices before applying new fixes.
- Technet: Updated Product Servicing Policy for SharePoint Server 2016
- Blog: SharePoint Patching Best Practices
- Blog: Common Question: What is the difference between a PU, a CU and a COD?
- Blog: SharePoint Patching demystified
- Blog: Why I prefer PSCONFIGUI.EXE over PSCONFIG.EXE
- Technet: Update Center for Microsoft Office, Office Servers, and Related Products
- Blog: SharePoint Server 2016 Patch Build Numbers Powershell Module
- Blog: SharePoint Server 2016 Zero-Downtime Patching Demystified
- Blog: SharePoint does not have a build version. Full Stop.
Hi Stefan, Great articles about Sharepoint.
How can I confirm whether a particular update (such as KB4537821) is included or not in this particular Feb20CU?
KB 4537821 is a windows fix. SharePoint Server 2016 CUs only include SharePoint Server 2016 fixes.
During our monthly patching I noticed that on SharePoint2016 servers when running PSconfig, the SharePoint Timer Service stopped. This incident happened only on the APP servers and didn’t occurred in WFE servers. We had to start the Timer Service manually to continue with PSconfig. We never had such incident in previous patches.
Has there been any reports of issues with search service after installing these update? My search never stops crawling.. it was on a 5 day search when i noticed it was not refreshing search results. i have stopped it a few times, and it just goes back to continually crawling.
Just curious before i have to do anything drastic like recreating the search service.
I haven’t seen this so far.