The product group released the January 2018 Cumulative Update for the SharePoint 2010 product family.
For January 2018 CU we have full server packages (also known as Uber packages) for SharePoint foundation, SharePoint server and Project server.
As this is a common question: Yes, January 2018 CU includes all SharePoint security fixes released with January 2018 PU.
Be aware that CU is a Post-SP2 hotfix. It is required to have SP2 installed before installing the CU.
It is required to have SP2 installed for the base product and all installed language packs to install January 2018 CU for SharePoint 2010.
This CU includes all SharePoint 2010 fixes (including all SharePoint 2010 security fixes) released since SP2. The CU does not include SP2.
The KB articles for January 2018 CU should be available at the following locations in a couple of hours:
- KB 3141547 – SharePoint Foundation 2010 – This is also a security update!
- KB 4011616 – SharePoint Server 2010
- KB 4011613 – Project Server 2010
The Full Server Packages for January 2018 CU are already available through the following links:
- Download SharePoint Foundation 2010 January 2018 CU – This is also a security update!
- Download SharePoint Server 2010 January 2018 CU
- Download Project Server 2010 January 2018 CU
After installing the fixes you need to run the SharePoint 2010 Products Configuration Wizard on each machine in the farm. If you prefer to run the command line version psconfig.exe ensure to have a look here for the correct options.
Be aware that the SharePoint Server 2010 CU contains the SharePoint Foundation CU.
That means only one package has to be installed for the SharePoint 2010 product family.
- Blog: SP2 for SharePoint 2010
- Blog: Common Question: What is the difference between a PU, a CU and a COD?
- Blog: SharePoint Patching demystified
- Blog: Why I prefer PSCONFIGUI.EXE over PSCONFIG.EXE
- Blog: January 2018 Office Update Release
- Technet: Update Center for Microsoft Office, Office Servers, and Related Products
- Technet: Updates for SharePoint Server 2010 and SharePoint Foundation 2010
- Technet: Updates for Project Server 2010
- Technet: Updates for Enterprise Search Products
You no longer add patches for the Office Web App 2010. Any particular reason?
For January 2018 there is however a patch for the Office Web App.
Office Web Apps 2010 is part of SharePoint 2010. It is not a separate product.
So the Uber package for SharePoint Server 2010 includes this fix.
If Uber packages are available I never include the individual component packages on my blog as it is hard to keep track of all of them.
It is recommended to install the Uber packages instead.
Thanks for your return 🙂
Are the Office Web App 2010 patches included recently to the SharePoint 2010 Server Uber packages?
We have installed Dec 2016 CU for SharePoint Server 2010 (Uber package) assuming that the Office Web app patches are included, but we do not see the security updates for “SharePoint Server 2010 Office Web Apps” installed on the servers. Could you please clarify?
Office Web Apps 2010 is a separate installation package and does not come directly with SharePoint 2010.
For that reason the patches for Office Web Apps 2010 are not included in the Uber package for SharePoint 2010.
Thanks for your prompt reply.
I presume that I have to install all security updates for Office Web App 2010 since Dec 2016 CU was released.
Or ,do we have any uber package for Office Web Apps 2010 (so that I can bring the environment up to date)?
WAC consists of a single package. So you only have to install the last one as it is cumulative.
Thanks Stefan for your prompt response. A final question.
The current farm is already upgraded to SP2. AS there are no product updates after SP2, installing only”Security update for SharePoint Server 2010 Office Web Apps: March 13, 2018″ should be sufficient to bring the application up to date right? Or, should I look to apply other security updates which were released after SP2?
if you mean for the office web apps: yes this fix should be sufficient.