The product group released the September 2016 Cumulative Update for the SharePoint 2010 product family.
For September 2016 CU we have full server packages (also known as Uber packages) for SharePoint 2010.
As this is a common question: Yes, September 2016 CU includes all SharePoint security fixes released with September 2016 PU.
Be aware that CU is a Post-SP2 hotfix. It is required to have SP2 installed before installing the CU.
It is required to have SP2 installed for the base product and all installed language packs to install September 2016 CU for SharePoint 2010.
This CU includes all SharePoint 2010 fixes (including all SharePoint 2010 security fixes) released since SP2. The CU does not include SP2.
The KB articles for September 2016 CU should be available at the following locations in a couple of hours:
- KB 3115477 – SharePoint Foundation 2010
- KB 3115473 – SharePoint Server 2010
- KB 3115470 – Project Server 2010
The Full Server Packages for September 2016 CU are already available through the following links:
- Download SharePoint Foundation 2010 September 2016 CU
- Download SharePoint Server 2010 September 2016 CU
- Download Project Server 2010 September 2016 CU
After installing the fixes you need to run the SharePoint 2010 Products Configuration Wizard on each machine in the farm. If you prefer to run the command line version psconfig.exe ensure to have a look here for the correct options.
Be aware that the SharePoint Server 2010 CU contains the SharePoint Foundation CU.
That means only one package has to be installed for the SharePoint 2010 product family.
- Blog: SP2 for SharePoint 2010
- Blog: Common Question: What is the difference between a PU, a CU and a COD?
- Blog: SharePoint Patching demystified
- Blog: Why I prefer PSCONFIGUI.EXE over PSCONFIG.EXE
- Blog: September 2016 Office Update Release
- Technet: Update Center for Microsoft Office, Office Servers, and Related Products
- Technet: Updates for SharePoint Server 2010 and SharePoint Foundation 2010
- Technet: Updates for Project Server 2010
- Technet: Updates for Enterprise Search Products
Are there no Security Fixes PU for SP2010 or SP2013?
Thank you very much..
Just an FYI, the link for SP 2013 3115169 (Excel Auto Srvs), within the MS16-107 bulletin or via search isn’t found.
KB Articles are often delayed due to internal review processes.
After installing the Sept 2016 CU in the farm, is there a place on the server(s) that shows that the security fixes listed in the Sept 2016 PU were installed? I’m not seeing them in the “view installed updates” link under “Programs and Features” on the server and I’d like to prove to my server team that the security update are installed. Thanks.
the sharepoint Security fixes are included in the CUs. You cannot find the KB articles for the Security fixes if you installed the CU as the CU includes them.
After we installed the SharePoint Server CU, we noticed that the document ID service started showing strange behaviour.
It follows the same template as before: [Prefix]-[List ID]-[Item ID], where we would expect a new list on a site to have an ID of 1.
Now it seems as though it assigns a random 8/9 digit number, we use scripts and templates to create new sites and their new lists so we would a list with ID 1 to correspond to a certain type of list or library. The random numbers are an inconvenience and aren’t isolated to new sites.
Is this a known issue or has this been seen before?