Customers reported the following problems with the MCMS security update:
- Resource Gallery Items show up as red-X after installing the update
- the DCA does not start
- Site Manager won’t start and throws an error indicating a missing satellite dll (NrMsgRes.dll) when done locally.
- Site Deployment results in an unspecified XML parser error when done from a remote machine.
- The fix will overwrite certain registry keys underneath HKLM\NCompass and point them to C:\…
- If the server portion of CMS is installed:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NCompass\Resolution Content Server\dir
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NCompass\Resolution Content Server\Database Manager\PhysicalExecPrefix
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NCompass\Resolution Content Server\Database Manager\PhysicalReadPrefix
- If the client portion is installed:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NCompass\NCompass Resolution Client\Dir
- if Site Stager is installed:
- The following error message shows up on the CMS site:
Description: Could not load file or assembly
‘Microsoft.ContentManagement.Common, Version=5.0.1200.0, Culture=neutral,
PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35′ or one of its dependencies. The system
cannot find the file specified.
Debug info: N/A
Extra info: N/A
Client Source: Login::ctlLogin_Click
Recommended Action: N/A
- in some situations the fix seems to remove the Microsoft.ContentManagement.Common dll from the GAC.
- manually add the DLL to the GAC.
- the fixes addressed by the hotfixes 923755 and 914782 show up again after installing the security fix.
- the security fix reverts the fixed files to the SP2 version
- install the hotfixes again after installing the security fix.
PingBack from http://wcornwill.wordpress.com/2007/04/15/issues-reported-with-the-mcms-security-update/
We have experienced other problems with this patch. The patch failed to confirm it’s installation on a CMS 2002 SP2 server. As such, it’s not available to uninstall, nor is it possible to uninstall SP2 to try again!
As the install does not appear to install correctly, we get an error when trying to start the Site Manager:
Failed to load satellite DLL ‘c:program filesMicrosoft Content Management ServerShared FilesNRMsgRes.dll’. Please reinstall or repair the product.
Anyone out there got any advice?
I have updated my blog article above. It now shows the solution for your issue.
Have you heard or experienced any issues after installing the security fix? We thought everything installed correctly, only to find that when we click on the Switch To Edit Site, it doesn’t do anything. So we are currently unable to edit content. Any ideas or suggestions?
please open a support call for this.
Hi, I am unfamiliar with opening a support call. Do you have a URL? Thank You!
you can do this through http://support.microsoft.com
Working with a client of mine, we found another problem for the MCMS2002 security update when the MCMS site is an ASP based site. In authoring mode before a HTML placeholder is rendered, the following line is written out to the page:
‘ — [PGUPTA] Update Version here, 1 of 3 places in this file
To fix the problem, edit the file Program FilesMicrosoft Content Management ServerServerIIS_NRSystemWBCInternalsPageTemplatePlaceholdersSupportEmitterThinEditIE_ActiveX.inc and delete the above line. BTW back up the file first before any editing.
i installed this patch on my dev notebook and i got the DLL error. I just reinstalled the patch two times and everything worked again. I installed it also on a test machine with now problems.
On both system i can’t find any information about the patch installation in the programs list. How can i determine that the patch is installed successfully?
the eventlog will show the installation information.
This hotfix has now a second download version:
"Version 2.0 – Released 6/12/2007. Re-released to address an install issue using a custom install directory for Content Management Server 2002."
Has this version the problems mencioned in your post?
Thanks in advance
issue 1 is resolved using this rerelease. The other issues not.